Blake Schwarzenbach, Aaron Cometbus, Daniela Sea bring back mid 90s nor-cal sounding punk with Thorns of Life. For all of us who never saw Jawbreaker live, Thorns of Life can more than likely fill that void.
In celebration, I leave you with a thread of Facebook messages between Blake and myself (a bit voyeuristic but entertaining nonetheless).
I once road my bike past you in Prospect Park, or maybe you were on the bike? It was close to 5 years ago and I can't recall exactly. But I had just moved to the city, it was late summer and I was on my way to a picnic. I was slightly overwhelmed but mostly excited as it was my first time visiting the beautiful park. While navigating my way around, my path crossed yours and in that brief second, you smiled ever so pleasantly. That moment embodied the magic that I always associated with New York and to this day, it stands out as one of my most pleasing memories of that city.
O, why does nobody ever say hi in such situations! I'm seldom not on a bike in Prospect Park which is probably why I never meet any pretty eye-making people out there. Anyway, glad it lightened your step as I'm sure it sped my paces. Best, b.
February 4 at 11:54pm
Perhaps if you gave that bike of yours a rest, you'd meet more pretty eye-makers. I for one would say hello if such a similar scenario were ever to reoccur. Who knows, maybe I'll run into you upon my next visit in a couple weeks and it'll all come full circle. Fun fact: according to Facebook, we share 3 mutual friends.
Wow, I didn't realize you were so seamlessly intertwined with yon fine cat in your photo -- that's Seriously McMysterious. I have attached a neural map of my lady cat, Scully, to the underside of my nervous system. If she twitches, or has a moment of exalted beauty, I feel it in my psychic grid.
Well, there's little risk of a bike keeping us apart in the coming weeks as it's almost too cold for humans going any faster than their wee twigs might carry them. But I would welcome a hello on any terrain (provided you're here before March 1 when I disappear into the studio for new album making).
I know at least ONE of our mutual friends -- John -- and Vique only mildly in passing many years ago in tow with the Promise Ring. Two of the greatest song lines (that aren't X, who have almost all the other great rock lines) are: (1) "You don't even like anything you like or the people you know" by Stephen Merritt; and, (2) "You've got a great collection of things because that's the best that you can do" by Archers of Loaf. These sum up most of my feelings for Facebook friends in fewer words than it would take me. Therefore, I defer to their singerly wisdom.
All of which is a circuitous way of saying, you should friend me!
B.
February 5 at 11:06pm
Yes, Phoebe Catz and I are intertwined in the photo but that is merely a reflection of our rather symbiotic relationship. We are deeply connected. Sometimes I wonder how I went living so long without her or without any other furry creature friend by my side. Cats, they are magnificent. And by the looks of it, your Skully is a rather astute and curious fellow. Lucky us.
I suppose you're right. It really is too cold for a bike ride, at least in these parts (it was 8 degrees yesterday!!) and being from California, that's really like 30 below for me! But regardless of temperature and terrain, I would be most delighted to make your acquaintance in person.
Into the studio? This makes me quite happy (and I'm sure many others as well). Do divulge some details kind sir!
And as to our mutual 'friends,' Vique is actually how I know John. She was my boss for a few impressionable years (and remains one of my dearest friends) and John is one of her oldest friends. I recall seeing John play with Jets to Brazil in Columbus. Regretfully, I did not say hi to you then as well.
With what looks to be over 1000+ friends on Facebook, its no wonder you defer to such lyrics! With that said, I'll friend you anyway. :)
Of course you'd love this! That's also why I texted you a zillion times when I received the first initial response. I cannot wait to see this Thorns of Life in person, with none other than you my dear.
2 comments:
I love this, and I totally posted a Thorns of Life video as well. I was feeling quite nerdy over it. I'm glad we share this :-)
Of course you'd love this! That's also why I texted you a zillion times when I received the first initial response. I cannot wait to see this Thorns of Life in person, with none other than you my dear.
Post a Comment