Wednesday, November 5, 2008

because im not yet done being happy

I got a phone call from Liam last night shortly before Barack was announced president elect. He reminded me of 4 years past when we sat at a bar in Brooklyn, trepidly awaiting the presidential outcome. Not surprisingly, the bar went completely silent as Bush was yet again announced president. We sat there in shock for some time, not exchanging words, but expressions of utter defeat and disbelief. To be reminded of that awful night, now makes me laugh.

I again found myself at a bar with friends, this time in Milwaukee, but more importantly, surrounded by people completely overjoyed. It may have taken 8 years but a change has finally come. Not only did Barack change history forever as the first minority president, but he managed to change the apathy that so many previously possessed. His ability to incite happiness on such a large scale, shared by so many millions across the world, is the greatest progress I've witnessed so far in my life.

No comments: