Saturday, May 17, 2008

i went to argentina and all i got was fat

buenos aires is not necessarily a place you go to with an agenda. quite the opposite in fact. there's not a whole lot of museums, churches, palaces, or the other such usual tourist traps. it can however stimulate your senses in many other ways. the city is packed full of cafes, restaurants, bars, lounges, plazas, outdoor craft markets, boutiques, cinemas, all constantly swarmed with people.

the people here chill. they eat, chill some more, shop, walk, hang in plazas, make out in public, and take it easy. they smile and laugh and sing out loud and lots of people play music on the streets and lots of people suck face. it seems as though everyone here is in love, especially the youth. i suppose its hard not to feel so overjoyed with a culture and country that offers the most delicious sweets that have ever made their way into my mouth. there's at least 2 bakeries on every block, so when you walk you're constantly seduced by the smell of fresh bread and pastries wafting around.

and oh the pastries, all dripping with dulce de leche, the sweet milky, caramel like heaven found inside medialunas (sweet little croissants) or alfahores (two round sugar cookies filled with all that is good and sometimes dipped in chocolate) or lest not forget the dulce tortas sprinkled with coconut nor the dulce pancakes/crepes.



argentina, i haven't felt hungry in whats now been an entire week. please stop feeding me such goodness. please have mercy on my sweet tooth.

side note: kat and i partook in a most glutenous meal tonight, one that serves as one of my lifetime's finest thus far but it should be known, that all the way to the party thereafter the consumption, i threw up dulce de leche. i dont know whether to be utterly disgusted by myself or amazed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you!!
The argentinian food is amazing.... I trully fell in love with the dulce de leche =)
Last year I've been living in a rent apartment in Buenos Aires for a month... and after those 30 days I couldn't wear my favorite jean.. so... if you go to that conutry be carefull!!!

an epic summer said...

Hi Carol, thanks for the comment. I'll have to check out that website next time I'm in Argentina, which will hopefully be soon. I still wonder why dulce de leche is not widely available in the states. It's heavenly.