Monday, April 14, 2008

background

While each season possesses its own beauty and charm, nothing quite comes close to the magic of summertime. Filled with bike rides, late night dips in Lake Michigan, impromptu house/backyard parties, girls in dresses, boys in shorts, puppies and flowers, summertime in Milwaukee is unlike no other. After almost 6 months of being buried under a ceaseless blanket of freezing snow (note: snow loses its charm after the first snowfall of the season), Wisconsin lets go of its deathly grip and allows you, and itself, to finally breathe. When that first breath of summer air fills your lungs, when that first trickle of sweat sweeps down your neck, onto your back, you begin to realize all the endless possibilities...

Summertime in Wisconsin is short, 3 months tops so needless to say, one is not only expected, but required to make the most of it.

I'm dedicating these short but ever so satisfying months to as little responsibility as possible; and specifically, to the pursuit of all things fun.

My unexpectedly epic summer last year serves as my main motivation. Due to unforeseen and rather unfortunate (at the time) circumstances, I found myself with a one way ticket to Turkey. Two months later, after stops in Armenia, Italy and London, I made it back home to Milwaukee with a month of sunshine left to spare. At that time did i decide that every summer should follow in a similar fashion.

In celebration of this forthcoming summer, I have yet again quit my mind-numbing office job. With this Friday being my last day of work, I have the following to look forward to thus far:

-last ever since by man show (which equates to a ridiculous amount of friends being at the same place at the same time and thus, the perfect kick off to all things awesome)
-the finishing of a statistically overwhelming semester
-3 weeks in Argentina
-a whirlwind road trip from Tucson, AZ back home, to Milwaukee.

And then the real fun begins.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's kind of hard to appreciate summer in so-cal where it's pretty nice all year round. Good luck on your summer, I hope it meets your epic expectations.

-Mat

Kat Karimi said...

love it! can't wait for you to come out to Buenos Aires! i'm so excited to be part of your epic summer :)