A sales clerk asked me how my holiday was after I flashed her my driver's license. Almost four years of living in Wisconsin and I still hold a California ID. I managed to buy a car in-state, become a Wisconsin resident and deal with the IRS all while possessing a California license (nevermind the photo on it is over ten years old).
I lived in four countries by the age of four, resided in three states spanning across the US, moved fourteen times after leaving for college, and all the while, never managed to feel at home. The closest I got was while inhabiting the house on E. Clarence Street but there always remained a tension between me and that house and the knowledge that no matter how hard I worked on sanding the floors, painting the walls, putting in new fixtures, planting a garden, caring for the apple tree, that it would all be temporary.
But my new home, well, it finally feels like home. There’s an airiness that’s welcoming and a feeling of ease that washes over me when I step foot inside. The light always looks perfect shimmering through the drapes, my plants appear healthier than they’ve been in years and Phoebe’s got some youth back in her (in part due to Chloe’s rambunctious spirit that still lives inside these walls). As for me, I guess it’s finally time to get that Wisconsin ID.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
You are perfect! This is lovely.
you are perfect & lovely. thanks for the inspiration to make my home even more home-like. xo
Post a Comment