Monday, May 9, 2011

On Traveling

A snack shack on the road to Hana, Maui
It wasn't until my recent trip to Maui that I took a few minutes to really think of all the beautiful lands I've traveled too. I was trying hard to rack my brain of the most awe-inspiring places so as to try and draw some comparison to this magical island -- the thing is, comparing one type of beauty for another is futile. Each place serves its own purpose, instilling on you an understanding, an answer to a question you never knew you had.

I thought of the many sights I've been so fortunate to take in. Lush rolling mountains of Ireland surrounded by  emerald waters; humbling architecture that whisper stories of lost empires along the Bosphorus in Istanbul; turquoise as far as the eye can see engulfing the islands of the Aegean Sea once ruled by the Greek, the manicured parks of London and the regal River Thames; the City of Lights and charming seaside towns along the Mediterranean in France; canals and bridges of Amsterdam; majestic mountains and untouched beauty of Armenia, the mysterious waters of Lake Sevan; pristine golden beaches of Puerto Rico and the wild horses of Vieques; the chic city of Buenos Aires, epic mountains and the crystal-like lake district of Patagonia; Colonia, the historic seaside town in Uruguay with its colorful cobbled streets; grand fountains of Rome, breathtaking sunset views in Florence and the winding roads through southern Italy; rain forests of Costa Rica and the tropics along the Caribbean.

Each plane ride across new seas, car ride through new roads, sights, sounds, smells, unforgettable adventures, interesting individuals and unique cultures overcome me with an incredibly deep desire to see more as each experience fills me a clearer sense of who I am and who I want to be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't know how you make it happen but I'm happy that someone is going out and appreciating the world. I'm loving this whole traveling vicariously through you thing :)